error message

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Sep 20 23:13:52 UTC 2000

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 04:23:21PM -0400, Ian Guthrie wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know what these two error messages when I HUP named refer to?
> >
> > Sep 20 15:57:54 xxxx named[27569]: unix control "/usr/local/etc/ndc" not
> > socket
> > Sep 20 15:57:54 xxxx named[27569]: ctl_server: bind: Address already in use
>
> Cf. <URL: http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/bind-messages.htm>.

	It helps if the these errors were there.

unix control "/usr/local/etc/ndc" not socket

	Named expects to be able to find/create a socket a DESTRUN/ndc
	(or DESTRUN/ndc.d/ndc) and found some other file type there.
	This is usually a old copy of ndc from a previous build or
	someone set DESTRUN and DESTSBIN to be the same directory when
	named was built.  See src/port/<platform>/Makefile.set.
	The location of this socket can be controled via a "controls"
	clause in named.conf and by using the '-c' option of ndc.

ctl_server: bind: Address already in use

	Multiple versions of named are running.  Use controls in named.conf
	to specify an alternate path and by using the '-c' option of ndc..
	Note: BIND version 8.2 would print this on startup if the server was
	not shutdown gracefully.  This was fixed in change 613.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com