Dynamic DNS problems

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 20 22:03:50 UTC 2000

You really shouldn't be trying to mix manual and Dynamic Update maintenance of
zonefiles. BIND's implementation of Dynamic Update pretty much assumes a
"closed system", i.e. that named is the only thing changing the zone files.
The only truly *safe* way of manually changing Dynamic Update-enabled zone
files, therefore, is to actually stop named while you're doing it (hope your
users don't mind!). And even then, you have to make sure that all of the
various files are consistent with each other, otherwise they may not be
accepted when named starts back up again.

Your only reasonable course, in my opinion, is to convert all of your
maintenance systems to Dynamic Update. I'm in the midst of such a conversion
process, so I know it's not trivial. But I think it's probably worth it in the
long run.

- Kevin