BIND 9 and TTLs

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 20 21:09:18 UTC 2000

The infamous "Brian" wrote:

> Hi Kevin:
>
> Kevin Darcy wrote in message <39C81160.38E379DB at daimlerchrysler.com>...
> >The infamous "Brian" wrote:
> >> If I place the <TTL> value in the RRs, no joy!
>
> >_DNS_and_BIND_ 2nd Edition is somewhat outdated. RFC 2308
> >clarified that the last field of the SOA record is the
> >Negative Caching TTL, not the default or minimum TTL.
>
> OK - good.
>
> >That's why BIND 9 requires the presence of a $TTL directive
> >(also specified in RFC 2308), or an explicit TTL on the *first*
> >record in the zone file; otherwise it doesn't know what TTL to
> >use for the record(s). See doc/misc/migration, Section 2.1.
>
> Read the migration DOC - that's what led to my attempts to place TTL
> directives in the RRs. I even tried putting it in every RR in case that was
> my problem.

If you wish to forego the $TTL directive, you have to have an explicit TTL on
the *first* RR in the zone file. The first RR in your zone file is the SOA RR.
You don't have an explicit TTL on it. That's why it's failing. Once you have
an explicit TTL on the first RR, I don't believe you need explicit TTL's on
any of the others.

- Kevin