BIND 9 and TTLs

John Horne J.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Sep 20 16:09:21 UTC 2000

On 19-Sep-00 at 22:42:07 "The infamous \"Brian\" <subdude at post.com> wrote:
> Have successfully installed BIND 9 on a small network (Linux 2.2.17) and
> had considerable trouble with the required TTL fields - ie HOW and WHY?
>
> If I place the "$TTL 1D" at the beginning of the zone it works fine. (1D =
> 86400s)
>
> If I place the <TTL> value in the RRs, no joy!
>
> I tried this;
>
> domain    1D    A    IN    192.168.0.1
>
> (no joy) and this;

I only run a local (on my pc) caching server, but with BIND 9 and redhat 6.1
linux, this worked okay. I changed the localhost A record to a '1D' TTL with
no problems. Nothing in the logs and dig picked up the TTL fine.

I assume you have the default $TTL in the zone file (before the SOA) as well
as the RR specific entry.

Have you tried just using the number of seconds to see what happens:
  domain    30    A    IN    192.168.0.1

Just some thoughts.

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk