BIND 9 and TTLs

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Wed Sep 20 08:39:00 UTC 2000

> Here is a copy of my "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" zone;
>=20
> ---<clip>---
> $TTL  1D
> @             IN    SOA    bozo    subdude.post.com.  (
                             ^^^^
				     I don't think your master is called bozo.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa., =
no?
				     as this is a reverse zone, you will need to use FQDNs for =
these, else it
				     will the origin, which is not what you want here.

>                              10       ; Serial
>                              8H       ; Refresh
>                              1H       ; Retry
>                              1W       ; Expire

I personally think expire values should be larger than 1W to be able to
survive longer absences (conferences etc) of the admin :-)

>                              1D       ; Minimum
>                              )
>=20
> @           IN    NS         bozo

Same comment about the origin here !!

>             IN    NS         bungo
>=20
> 1           IN    PTR        localhost
>=20
> ---<clip>---
>=20
> The above works.
>=20
> ---<clip>---

$TTL 1D

> @             IN    SOA    bozo    subdude.post.com.  (
>                              10       ; Serial
>                              8H       ; Refresh
>                              1H       ; Retry
>                              1W       ; Expire
>                              1D       ; Minimum
>                              )
>=20
> @      1D     IN    NS       bozo
>        1D     IN    NS       bungo

>=20
> 1      1D     IN    PTR      localhost
>=20
> ---<clip>---
>=20
> The above doesn't work.
>=20
> Here is the /var/log/syslog messages;
>=20
> ---<clip>---
> Sep 19 18:53:24 bozo named[72]: dns_master_load: named.127.0.0:1:
> no TTL specified
> Sep 19 18:53:25 bozo named[72]: dns_zone_load: zone
> 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: database named.127.0.0: dns_db_load failed:
> no ttl

Sure, you did not have $TTL at the top of the zonefile, nor an explicit =
TTL
on the SOA record !

>=20
> Is this perhaps a "Linux" thing?