Bind 8.2.3-T5B opens dial up when starting because of NS-query for ROOT-Servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 30 22:45:29 UTC 2000

There is no easy solution to this. named needs root-zone data when it starts
up, and if it is configured to use Internet root servers, it'll try to get
that data over the Internet. The only "solution" I've been able to think of,
on the DNS side, is to run an internal-root configuration when disconnected,
a regular Internet-root configuration when connected, and some way to
automatically restart the nameserver with a different configuration as part
of your connection and disconnection sequences. But I've never actually
implemented this personally.

Alternatively, is there some way to tune your dialup parameters such that
queries to port 53 don't bring up your Internet connection?

- Kevin