problems w/homelink.fleet.com and bind 4.6

Michael Fuhr mfuhr at dimensional.com
Sat Oct 28 21:00:49 UTC 2000

"beetle bailey" <mrking01 at hotmail.com> writes:

> I don't know if anyone is running this old a version of bind, but we were
> having problems getting to homelink.fleet.com and I noticed that it's A
> record had a 0sec ttl.  Since we upgraded to 8.2.2 there have been no
> problems.  Does anyone know what about the upgrade might have helped this
> problem?  I hadn't done much troubleshooting before the upgrade so I'm
> afraid all I know is resolution was taking a very long time.

I remember old versions of BIND having problems with zero TTLs.
This is mentioned in _DNS and BIND_, 3rd edition (Albitz & Liu),
page 189:

"Some older BIND 4 name servers can't return records with a TTL of
zero, instead returning null answers or SERVFAIL errors."

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/