named crashing with too many open files

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Oct 27 22:20:15 UTC 2000

    Ben> I'm running bind-8.2.2p5 on Solaris 7, and I've increased the
    Ben> number of per-process files to 1024, with the line set
    Ben> rlim_fd_cur=1024 in /etc/system, and I even told bind to
    Ben> limit itself to 512 files with options { ...  files 512; };
    Ben> but named keeps running out of file handles:

It's running out of file descriptors. File handles are something
completely different. 512 file descriptors should be more than enough
for most applications: especially a name server. If it's not enough,
you must be doing something silly or unreasonable, like have a few
hundred (virtual) network interfaces on the system. [named will need 2
descriptors per interface: one listening for TCP queries and one for
UDP.] Get hold of the PD tool lsof (list open files) and find out
where all those files descriptors used by the name server are going.