secondary name server question

Techdog tcr at cameron.net
Fri Oct 27 18:35:13 UTC 2000

First of all, thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

> You should really be using BIND 8 or BIND 9, which have "named.conf"
instead of
> "named.boot" configuration files...

Will look into that, is it better?

> You need to manually configure the slave to know that it's a slave for the
> zone, who the master is, and what filename to use for storing the
replicated
> zone. Once you do that, though, then changes will replicate automatically.
You
> don't even need to create the zone file; that will be done automatically.
Slave
> configuration requires a "secondary" directive in named.boot, or in
named.conf,
> a "zone" definition specifying "type slave".

Once I create that line in the NAMED.BOOT file and restart DNS, how long
will it take before the zone file will be created? So far it has not
appeared after several minutes. Will the Event Viewer log the update so I
can verify it?

Thanks,

TD