classless masks in the zone files

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 26 21:28:06 UTC 2000

Charles @ netzero wrote:

> I am trying to apply a 29 bit mask to a zone file but am not sure of the
> exact syntax. Can anyone post some sample confs? Thanks in advance.

One does not apply masks to zone files. If you want to control the reverse
namespace for a /29, then you need to either:

a) have your provider delegate each address in that range as a separate
zone to your nameserver(s)

or

b) have your provider create an alias for each address in that range,
pointing to PTR's in a zone you control (read RFC 2317 to get a general
idea of how this is done).

Note that in either case the co-operation of your provider is required. So
you might start off by talking to them and finding out what they are
willing to do to facilitate the process.

- Kevin