transferring named.conf to a slave server

Michael Reynolds michael at spinweb.net
Wed Oct 25 19:35:59 UTC 2000

I saw this exchange on Mr. DNS's web site:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------=0D=
At 03:24 PM 10/30/97 -0500, you wrote:=0D>Hello, I appreciate your =
service - but I didn't see anywhere (including=0D>the BIND pages) how to =
setup a slave DNS that's completely dumb. By this=0D>I mean is there =
some way in BIND (8.1) to have one DNS machine replicate=0D>it's =
information off of a master and grab everything? I would like to do=0D=
>this rather then have each zone and setup them up as slaves. I suppose=0D=
>on a time bases (crond?) I could get the named files off of the other =0D=
>machine but I would much rather do it within the protocol is there is=0D=
>allocation for it? I appreciate you time - and look forward to hearing =0D=
>from you.=0D=0DYou can't do what you want to do with BIND alone.  =
There's nothing in the=0DDNS protocol that allows one name server to ask =
another, "Hey, what zones=0Dare you authoritative (master or slave) =
for?"  You must tell a name server=0Dwhat zones it should be master or =
slave for.=0D=0DYour suggestion of copying the zone database files from =
the master would=0Dwork, but Mr. DNS thinks that's unnecessarily =
complicated.  Why not set up=0Da script that transforms the named.conf =
on the master to a suitable=0Dnamed.conf for the slave?  (Basically =
transform the zone statements from=0D"master" to "slave")  After =
changing the named.conf, the script could=0Dautomatically copy it to the =
destination host and kill and restart the name=0Dserver.=0D=0DRegards,=0D=
=0DMr. DNS=0D=
-

My question is: does anyone already have a script to do this? If so, =
would you share it with me?

Thanks!
	---Mike=