zone files get messed up when enabling DDNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 24 18:13:08 UTC 2000

Marc De Grasse wrote:

> Hi group,
>
>  When i enable dynamic updates with allow-updates, my zone files get all
> messed up, all the information in the zones is correct but all the
> formatting and comments get shifted around. God knows i spent a lot of time
> formatting and commenting the zone files!!
>
>  Is there anyway to fix this, any additionnal options i have to set?

This is working as designed. When Dynamic Update is enabled for a zone, the
zone file becomes just a holding area for zone data, and named feels free to
do whatever it wants with it.

You should make all of your updates to that zone via Dynamic Update. Comments
and formatting are only useful if you ever plan to do manual updates to the
zone files, but this is dangerous for a Dynamic Update-enabled zone, since
your manual changes can easily get overwritten the next time named dumps the
file.

- Kevin