Multi Domain on Red Hat Machine

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 23 22:25:49 UTC 2000

Ron Jones wrote:

> Hello All,
> Need to know how to setup multiple domains
> in bind and named server. Do I need to setup
> CNAMES or all the .db files for each domain???
> I only have version 1 of the grass hopper book.

It depends on the level of the domains. If you owned the example.com
domain, for instance, and wanted to create the (sub)domains
a.example.com, b.example.com and so forth, then you could do that
strictly within the example.com zone file.

But if, on the other hand, you want to set up multiple domains at a
higher level, e.g. example1.com, example2.com, since you don't own .com
(don't you? :-) you'd have to make each one a separate DNS *zone*, which
means separate definitions in named.conf, separate zone files, etc..
Then you could, if you wanted, have aliases in those zones pointing to
whatever names you want, with one major restriction: the name of a zone
itself (e.g. example2.com) cannot be an alias, it has to be a
"canonical" name. For those, you can, however, just add address
(A) records instead.

- Kevin