Help: BIND 8.2.2_P5 hangs on Red Hat 6.2

Igmar Palsenberg maillist at chello.nl
Sun Oct 22 15:37:10 UTC 2000

> Both syslogd and klogd are part of the "sysklogd" package, and we are
> definitely running the latest version from Red Hat.  (This was the
> first thing I checked after reading the earlier discussion on this
> topic.)
>
> The "deadly embrace" explanation makes a lot of sense; it is very
> consistent with the behavior we are seeing.  But why does this only
> happen on Red Hat Linux?  Do the Red Hat syslogd or syslog() library
> functions block when they shouldn't?

There was a recent fix with had something to do with this issue.. But it's
more then half a year ago, so that means that you should have seen the
issue before.

The only thing I can think of is that syslogd hangs because it receives or
sends messages from/to a syslog on an external machine. That scenario can
also cause a major headache.

> I guess I will just configure our named to log to a flat file, and
> then modify our syslog monitoring scripts to watch that file.  How
> annoying.

Still strange. Same system, no problems here..

> Thanks for your help!
>
>  - Pat

	Igmar