microsoft claims

Igmar Palsenberg maillist at chello.nl
Sat Oct 21 10:16:29 UTC 2000

> > > 1. MS claims they support for secure dynamic update based on the
> > > gss-tsig algorithm and bind does not.
> >Recent Bind versions do.
>
> BIND does not currently support Microsoft's proprietary GSS-TSIG in any
> version.  We support the IETF standard HMAC-MD5 TSIG.  Microsoft does not
> support HMAC-MD5 TSIG (to my knowledge).  As such, doing dynamic update
> securely in a heterogeneous environment is difficult.  We have been in
> discussions with Microsoft on this issue for a while and have also begun
> implementation of Microsoft's GSS-TSIG (after the DNSEXT working group
> picked up the draft), following the various documents Microsoft has made
> public, however we (and others) have discovered that what Microsoft has
> documented does not actually match what Microsoft does.

Ah well.. I'm getting used to it. And it will get worse when software
patents get allowed. Really sick thought..

> > > 2. bind does not support wins and wins-r records
>
> Right.  Even Microsoft has deprecated this.

It isn't even right to support wins and family.

> > > 3. bind does not support utf-8 character encoding.
>
> This is false.

Is it legal to use utf-8 ? Seperate from is it supported or not.

There was a recent article on I believe /. on these issues, and on this as
URL's in Chinese and so.

> Rgds,
> -drc

	Igmar