syslog and bind

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Sat Oct 21 02:01:50 UTC 2000

[mailto:news at nnrp1-w.snfc21.pbi.net]On

> > named needs to bind to port 53, which is in the reserved range, so =
it
> needs
> > superuser access.
>=20
> I thought bind 8 used an unprivledged port?  If not I'm wasting me =
time on
> this machine.

named needs to listed to port 53 for incoming DNS requests, thus needs =
root
(unless you specifically specify a different port in a listen-to option,
but what good is listening to a different port when everyone sends =
queries
to port 53?)

It will use an unprivileged port for sending out its own queries (unless =
specifically
told to use a specific port (like 53) using the query-source option).

I hope this helps.