What does it mean to be authoritative?

Len Conrad lconrad at Go2France.com
Fri Oct 20 15:46:05 UTC 2000

>O.K. Thanks.  I am still a bit confused about the db file and how authority
>is delegated.
>
>You have indicated authority is delegated to a nameserver which is listed in
>the NS record of a db file that is associated with a domain name and found
>in the root-servers.net.
>
>I have read that the SOA indicates authority for zone data and that the NS
>record lists a name server for the zone.

The SOA record contains a hostname which is the "best source"
nameserver for zone data.

yes, it's customary, even obligatory, that the hostname/NS in SOA
record also be listed in zone's NS records, since the SOA NS is
recognized as "the best source of information for the data within
this zone" (cricket book).  That's the story for and within a given
zone, private or public zone and DNS.

Additionally, for public DNS's and domains, all the NS records in the
zone file must be exactly listed in NS "glue records" in the
root-servers of the domain's TLD, otherwise the delegation of
authority for the forward zone is "lame".  These "delegation data" NS
records are the source of authority for the zone data records.

The authority for the reverse zone flows not from the root-servers,
but from the ip authorities for the ip address assignments, ARIN, RIPE, etc.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com: ISC BIND 8.2.2 p5 & 8.2.3 T6B for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com:  Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways