Problem with reverse lookups...

mallik mallik at india.tek.com
Fri Oct 20 12:50:20 UTC 2000

Hi,

I have a problem with reverse lookups..

My bind is 8.2.2p5 on solaris..

My machine is in a domain india.celstream.com which is hosting DNS for india.celstream.com & also For group1.celstream.com, group2.celstream.com, group3.celstream.com etc..... DNS nslookup works fine but not reverse lookups.

I have not been able to put in reverse lookup for these groups., where in I have been able to do reverse lookup for india.celstream.com successfully by adding entries into named.rev,

I tried pointing group1.celstream.com to a file with in-addr.arpa but without success., I am missing out some pointer somewhere to point it to reverse, I have been unsuccess ful on the archives & the book...

Could somebody help me in putting the reverse lookup for the individual groups. Thanks in advance.. I am enclosing the config of my server

Thanks in advance.

Mallik

My named.conf...

forwarders {
                164.164.89.42;
                164.164.4.5;
        };
        directory "/var/named";
        check-names master ignore;
        check-names slave  ignore;
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "india.celstream.com" {
        type master;
        file "celstream.hosts";
};
 zone "group1.celstream.com" {
        type master;
        file "group1.list";
};

zone "114.255.10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "named.group1.rev";
};

kiwi:/var/named >more named.group1
;
; BIND data file for local loopback interface.
;
$TTL    600000
@       IN      SOA     group1.celstream.com. mallik.kiwi.group1.celstream.com. (
                        11111   ; Serial
                        3600    ; Refresh
                        300     ; Retry
                        3600000 ; Expire
                        3600 )  ; Minimum
        IN      NS      group1.celstream.com.
1       IN      PTR     kiwi.group1.celstream.com.
kiwi.xerox.celstream.com.       IN      A       10.255.10.11
114.255.10.in-addr.arpa.      IN      PTR     kiwi.group1.celstream.com.
$INCLUDE /var/named/group1.list

group1.list
scanner    A       10.255.114.51
;       HINFO   "Sun Ultra 450 Server "
group1.list contains all machines for the group1..

for the reverse lookup for this group., all the machines are in 10.255.114.x.........   I have put in a in-addr.arpa in the named.conf & populated the file accordingly..

kiwi:/var/named >more named.xerox.rev
; BIND data file for local loopback interface.
;
$TTL    600000
@       IN      SOA     group1.celstream.com. mallik.kiwi.group1.celstream.com. (
                        97033193; Serial
                        3600    ; Refresh
                        300     ; Retry
                        3600000 ; Expire
                        3600 )  ; Minimum
        IN      NS      kiwi.group1.celstream.com.
29    IN      PTR     svr1.group1.celstream.com.
48    IN      PTR     svr2.group1.celstream.com.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Mallik