BIND 9.0.0

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 19 23:47:27 UTC 2000

Stefan Zafirov wrote:

> [...]

> One more question. I would like to put
> . , edu, inaddrarpa and gov into my name server for faster service. Does
> somebody have an idea how to do that?

You realize, of course, that those zones consist almost exclusively of
delegations to other nameservers, right? So you'd only save yourself 2 queries
potentially for in-addr.arpa, maximum 1 query for the others, in the course of
the resolution process, and this only if you have no relevant NS'es already
cached. Since these zones are large and ever-changing, it's likely that you'd
bog down your server even more with the zone transfers than you could ever
hope to save by being authoritative for the zones. And that's assuming that
you could talk the powers-that-be into even letting you be a slave in the
first place...

- Kevin