Round Robin A Records

Steve Ford sford at ncc.dhl.com
Thu Oct 19 10:41:25 UTC 2000

Can someone please advise:

We have two web servers mirrored. We have setup DNS (BIND 4.9.7) like
this to round robin the requests:

www    0300    IN A    198.141.222.111
            0300    IN A    198.141.223.117

When a client attempts to resolve the address of the hostname 'www' is
it true that the client will receive one of the IP addresses on a round
robin basis?

If we lose one of the servers, say it is booted down, every second
request will be the IP address of the unavailable server.

Does anyone know a way of configuring DNS so that if one server is down
all requests are directed to the available server dynamically? Manually
we remove the A record for the unavailable server.

Regards,
Steve

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: sford.vcf