Name Server Registration Need ??

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Wed Oct 18 16:30:39 UTC 2000

> Hi,
>=20
>      I am having a stupid question to ask.  That is, Do I have to =
register
> my Primary and Secondary Name Server before I can put my name=20
> server to the
> public ??

As with almost all things: That depends. Mostly on the registrat you are =
using.

Many ccTLDs will simply add GLUE records (if required) for your =
nameservers when you
register your domain.
If you are an NSI customer, and your nameservers live in the domain you =
are registering
with them, they would also automatically add them. If you are systems =
outside the
domain that you are registering as nameservers, NSI requires you to =
register
them using the HOST records.
Other registries/registrars may have similar requirements (for security, =
admin
or other purposes). You should check with the registrar you intend =
registering your
domain with.

In any case, the nameservers must obviously have A records in the their =
respective
domain, so that they can be referred to by name.