Zone File Not Updating on Slave Server

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Wed Oct 18 01:01:37 UTC 2000

> I am having issues with my slave name server not updating a=20
> particular zone
> file from the primary name server.  I have made sure that the=20
> serial number
> of the zone file on the primary server is bigger than the serial =
number of
> the zone on the slave.  I have attempted to force a zone transfer =
(using
> "named-xfer" and the "-s 0" flag).  I have added the=20
> "allow-transfer" lines
> to each named.conf file with the required IP addresses of the other =
name
> servers.  I have even renamed the zone to try and force the slave=20
> server to
> find and transfer the file from the primary server.  Even though I =
have
> restarted named on both servers before trying any of the above =
options,
> nothing seems to work.
>=20
> Is there anything I'm missing?  Perhaps some simple solution I'm
> overlooking?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

a) Have you ensured that the primary NS is actually authoritative for =
the zone
   in question? It will not consider itself authoritative (and thus not =
transfer
   the zone out) if there is any syntax error in the zonefile.
   Check the logs on the primary when starting/reloading named.

b) DO you have a firewall between your primary and secondary, which
   blocks ports 53 (both USP and TCP)?

c) Have your tried pinging the primary from the secondary, to see =
whether it can
   even reach the primary?

c) DO you have an allow-transfer and allow-query statement in your =
primary's
   named.conf that prohibits the secondary?
   this would be logged o the primary.

I suggest you post your real zone and nameservers here so people can =
actually help checking..