Reverse DNS on a local network

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Mon Oct 16 17:30:10 UTC 2000

If you only have one set of nameservers, which are
authoritative for your zones and also get queried by
your clients (ie in listed intheir /etc/resolv.conf or equivalent),
you would set up your nameserver to be authoritative for
	213.168.192.in-addr.arpa
(and for other reverse zones according to the IP address blocks
you use).=20

You should also set your nameservers up to be authoritative for
your own internal 'root' zone, and delegate the required zones
(in this case bootc.net, 219.168.192.in-addr.arpa et al) to your own
servers.

named.conf (on the primary; on the slave make these type slave!)
----------
	[...]
	zone "." {
		type master;
		file "root.db";
		[...]
		};	=09

	zone "bootc.net" {
		type master;
		file "bootc.net.db";
		[...]
		};

	zone "213.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
		type master;
		file "219.168.192.in-addr.arpa.db";
		[...]
		};
	[...]

root.db
-------
	@	IN SOA	...
		IN NS		ns1.bootc.net.
		IN NS		ns2.bootc.net.

	ns1.bootc.net.	IN A	192.168.213.15
	ns2.bootc.net.	IN A	192.168.213.16

	; delegate your forward domain
	bootc.net.		IN NS	ns1.bootc.net.
				IN NS	ns2.bootc.net.

	; delegate your reverse domain
	213.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	IN NS	ns1.bootc.net.
						IN NS	ns2.bootc.net.

	; do the same for each /24 you use under 192.168./16 !

213.168.192.in-addr.arpa.db:
----------------------------

	@	IN SOA .....
		IN NS		ns1.bootc.net.
		IN NS		ns2.bootc.net.

	1	IN PTR	garguantua.bootc.net.
	2	IN PTR	tequila.bootc.net.
	3	IN PTR	dustball.bootc.net.
	15	IN PTR	ns1.bootc.net.
	16	IN PTR	ns2.bootc.net.
=09

If your clients query nameservers that are not to be authoritative
for your zones, then you would have to set these up with your own
named.ca (hints) file pointing at your authoritative nameservers
too, so that they can find the internal root servers.
This is not specific to the reverse setup though.

named.ca
--------
	.	IN NS	ns1.bootc.net.
	.	IN NS	ns2.bootc.net.