Retransmission timings for queries

Thomas Voss Thomas_Voss at su.maus.de
Sun Oct 15 22:17:00 UTC 2000

Hi,

 TV>> can anyone give me information about the exact timings when
 TV>> bind (bind 8.2.2p5) retransmits a UDP-Query to some other DNS
 TV>> The point is that I am using a ppp link to my ISP with
 TV>> dial-on-demand, and my ISP gives me a new dynamic IP address
 TV>> Now it happens quite often that bind's queries to other
 TV>> servers bring up the line, but for my configuration, bind
 TV>> seems to wait exactly 1 minute before it sends its query again

 MA> Upgrade to BIND 8.2.3 (currently in beta test).  It has
 MA> better properties w.r.t. forwarders and timeouts.
 MA> The answer to you question under BIND this configuration is
 MA> 60 secs.

Thank you for your help. I was offline a few days, so my answer arrives
quite late.

Finally, I now got it running simply using more than one forwarding DNS
server. Actually, I entered the same servers more than once into the
'forwarders' section. :-) Now, bind starts the initial retransmission of
queries after 60 / # forwarders entered seconds.

Thomas