Providing DNS service in asia

Phillip phile at phile.com.au
Sat Oct 14 07:08:30 UTC 2000

>I would like to set up a DNS service for the asia pacific region.
>
>I intend to provide Dynamic DNS, web updates, as well as local language
>support (such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.)
>
>My domain names are:
>
>    SGDNS.com    - for Singapore and other asian countries
>    OZDNS.com    - for Australian / New Zealand
>
>I am using Redhat Linux 6.2, and I am having trouble deciding whether to use
>BIND 8.2.2P5, or should I go straight for BIND 9.

Casey

IMHO it is merely a matter of personal preference. I use both the ones
you mention at various places (all of them small in terms of number of
zones) and haven't had a problem with any. I'm also using 8.2.3-B5
(or 6 - I can't check it at the moment) and its been very stable as well.

While its not a problem for me, Bind 9 with many zones reputedly starts
up more quickly that Bind 8, so you might like to try that. My only reservation
is a possible vulnerability in Bind 9. I say "possible" because I have been
unable to verify it but there is a comment in an article at Security Portal
that states "Don't use beta or development versions of BIND on production
servers, use 'stable releases'. e.g. avoid BIND 9.0.0 for now, it has already
produced one root compromise." [ See
http://www.securityportal.com/cover/coverstory20001002.html ] My reading
of that was it was referring to the general release not the beta versions. I'd
welcome any confirmation from the people on this list as to the accuracy
of this statement.

But, in the absence of any adverse comment from people with greater
knowledge than I, I'd say use the additional features of Bind 9.

Cheers
Phillip