address-to-names

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Oct 14 03:16:18 UTC 2000

Hongbo Shi wrote:

> Thanks a lot.
> I read the sections in the [RFC2181].
> Are the following considerations correct?
> 1) CNAME is used to define an alias.

Correct.

> 2) PTR must not point to an alias.

Correct. As part of a general rule applying to *all* record types which point
to names. But this is not a very strict rule. RFC 1034, for example, says that,
by the "robustness principle", implementations should still follow
"illegal" CNAME chains.

> 3) PTR could point to a set of different canonical names correspoinding the
>    same IP address.

Correct. If would add that it is not mandatory for PTR's to point to A records
with any particular address. It's not mandatory for them to point to A records
at all. In fact, it's not mandatory that they point to anything that actually
exists. Just think of each PTR as a connector between 2 different names,
syntactically identical to a CNAME, but without the special processing
associated with aliases. By far, the most common use of PTR's is for reverse
lookups, but technically they are not limited to this.

> 4) Though PTR could point to a set of different canonical names, practically
>    no client software looks beyond the first PTR in a PTR RRset. Waste of
>    time and effort.

Correct. And BIND even treats PTRs specially so that the normal sorting
preferences (e.g. cyclic/random) don't apply; "fixed" order is always used. So
a client that is querying a BIND server and doesn't look beyond the first
PTR RR doesn't ever see any of the others in the RRset, no matter how many
times it queries the name. This differs from, say, an A RRset, where the first
record in the RRset might differ from query to query.

- Kevin