DDNS with Split View DNS(Bind 9 feature)

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Oct 11 21:24:03 UTC 2000

Robbie Stone wrote:

>	With dynamically assigned Win2k clients it is unrealistic to believe
>that manual zone updates are possible. It is simply NOT possible to redo
>the forward and reverse DNS for each machine when it grabs a new IP from
>the DHCP server. The DNS *must* be correct for proper operation of the
>active directory, so I'm sort of stuck. I really don't like the
>inability to go in and move stuff around myself, but It needs to work
>first, right?

I am not sure I understand your question.  With Win2k and DHCP, you can
either have the DHCP server register both the forward and reverse
DNS entries, or you can have the Win2k client machine register the
forward address and DHCP reverse pointer.

If you need to update a zone manually, you can use the nsupdate
utility in BIND.  It has been discussed in the past year, and you can
search the archives.  I have not used nsupdate, as I plan to keep our
Win2k dynamic zones separate from our static zones.  This will require
moving some machines to a new subnet (via router VLANs), so that all
machines on a given 255 subnet 146.137.x.___ will either be all
static registrations or all dynamic registrations.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov