Getting message "Too Many Hops"

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Oct 11 09:31:25 UTC 2000

    Lawrence> I'm not sure if this is a DNS issue or a MS Exchange
    Lawrence> issue.  But I setup my DNS server to point the MX record
    Lawrence> to my Exchange mail box.  Everytime I send email from
    Lawrence> the outside to my new email box I get a reply that it
    Lawrence> failed because there are too many hops.

Unless you show the config files and DNS data, it's hard to
say. What's probably happening is that there's a mail loop. Host A
thinks mail for domain foo gets delivered to host B. Meanwhile that
host believes mail for foo should be delivered on A. The cause of a
problem like that will depend on the configuration on your mail
systems and the MX records on the DNS. Maybe one of these hosts needs
to be told that domain foo is local and any mail for this domain
should be delivered locally? I'd suggest you start by consulting the
FAQs for your mail systems and see what they have to say about the
"too many hops" error.