Mirror Configuration

Mitchell Krog mitchellk at allafrica.co.za
Sun Oct 8 18:29:45 UTC 2000

Hi All

I have searched high and low for information on this type of configuration
and haven't found either a positive or negative answer to my question yet.

Hence ... I am now finally posting this here so hopefully someone can answer
my question.

I have some very important websites which are on my servers which need
24/7/365
reliability which we can meet at present however, sometimes lines go down
etc
especially with the bad lightning we have in South Africa.

I have two servers one sitting on a 196.*.*.* subnet and the other on a
216.*.*.*
subnet ... the main web server is on the 196.*.*.* and the websites on this
server
automatically replicate to the other server at specified intervals. That is
no problem
I have that all working.

However lets say the lines supplying bandwidth to the 196.*.*.* subnet go
down, is there
a way for the server at 216.*.*.* to automatically takeover ??
Can Bind be configured in such a way as to do this or am I sadly mistaken ??
I would just like to be able to have a fully redundant service .. if there
is such
a thing.

Any help on this matter would be most appreciated.

Regards
Mitchell Krog