"Directory world-writable" warning

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 5 22:23:00 UTC 2000

".", in Unix (POSIX?) and MS-DOS and probably other OS'es, refers to the
current working directory of the process. Since the world-writable check is
done after named does its chdir() (change directory) system call, it means
that whatever directory you specified in the "directory" option in
named.conf is world-writable. This is bad because it means unprivileged
users on the system could remove, rename or replace your zonefiles. Change
the permissions on that directory to remove the world-writeability.

- Kevin