resolving MX pointers for sub-domains

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 5 20:51:05 UTC 2000

Samuel Sumner wrote:

> I have a situation where I would like to have MX records on my parent zone
> to resolve mail for a subdomain (ex: txwes.edu zone files resolving mail for
> the law.txwes.edu subdomain) in addition to it's own mail.
> Is this a possibility?
> If so, how would it be done?

law.txwes.edu isn't just a subDOMAIN of txwes.edu, it is actually a subZONE of
txwes.edu. So if you want to change the law.txwes.edu MX record (which already
exists), then you would have to do so in the child zone, not the parent.

If you just want an MX record for txwes.edu, add one to the txwes.edu zone
file.

- Kevin