DNS dying

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Oct 5 16:38:07 UTC 2000

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:02:10PM +0100, Jim Reid wrote:
> The name server should print a message in the system logs if it
> encounters a fatal error: like running out of memory or being unable
> to set up sockets on port 53. ...

"Should".  We had a name server [our interface to the outside world]
that, for several weeks, would occasionally die with no record why,
even when we logged EVERYTHING.  I had no chance to do more thorough
debugging before this behaviour stopped.  No change to binaries or
libraries.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B