Domain name resolution?

stuart nichols stu at stac.state.tx.us
Thu Oct 5 15:25:51 UTC 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Tom Morris wrote:

> In my email xyz.com is our domain name. I want a DNS query on our
> intranet to return an internal ip I designate (e.g. I ping
> xyz.com). For example, on the net, when I ping yahoo.com - a
> domain - I receive an ip address.  yahoo.com is used to illustrate
> the behavior I want to duplicate on my intranet for xyz.com.

> No, I don't want to isolate our network. As I said, our DNS server
> is a slave that forwards queries to an internet DNS server. Our
> DNS server only resolves internal host names, all others are
> forwarded.

This appears to be irrelevant.

> If there is no difference between a host name and a domain name
> does that mean I create an "A" record for the domain name I want
> to resolve, in this case xyz.domain.

Yes.  Exactly.  Just add an A record for xyz.com into your zone file
for xyz.com, assuming you do have the xyz.com:

   xyz.com     in    ns     ns.bob.com.
               in    ns     ns.fred.com.
               in    A      10.0.0.123     <-- Whichever address you
                                               want to be pinged.

Please use real zones in any future queries.  You weren't even
self-consistant in naming xyz.com/xyz.domain.  That contributed
to why we couldn't understand what you wanted the first time
around, and why I had to read your message thru a couple of
times this time to understand what you really wanted.

--
stu
office: (512) 463-7601

stuart nichols
State Technology Assessment Center
Texas Department of Information Resources
300 West 15th Street
Suite 1300
Austin  TX  78701