ignored glue

Gilles Massen gm at dns.lu
Thu Oct 5 06:30:44 UTC 2000

(This message has been send twice as it seemed lost the first time. My
apologies to those receiving it twice)

In a case like this:

xxx.lu is delegated to ns.yyy.net is delegated to ns.zzz.de

am I right to believe that while resolving www.xxx.lu Bind makes a
sysquery for ns.yyy.net and gets stuck? Because even when the resolver
restarts the query, bind make still a first sysquery for ns.yyy.net and
cannot make the second for ns.zzz.de. Thus checkmate. This is at least
what I understand from previous comments and the logging, but I'm still
not that sure...

Gilles

--- Kevin Darcy wrote:

I think the official answer to this is that BIND 8 lacks "query
restart",
that is to say, named will not issue another sysquery in response to a
previous sysquery. Keeping track of nested sysqueries was apparently
difficult to implement within the code structure of BIND 8 (or lack
thereof).

The implication, which I have not personally verified, is that BIND 9
*does* have query restart.

Note that this behavior of BIND 8 is not _usually_ a showstopper, since
the
resolver will generally retry the query if it doesn't get an answer. If
all
the nameserver needs is an A record to fill into the additional section,
then that takes only a single sysquery, which named can deal with and
return the full answer to the client.

- Kevin
--
Gilles MASSEN