NSLookups Via Web?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 5 00:09:43 UTC 2000

Gerald Waugh wrote:

>  "Joseph S D Yao" <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote
> >
> > There are several.  One I know is
> > My mother showed me this one!  ;-)  Look in the archives for others.
> >
> > Reverse lookups are lookups.  If you can do lookups, you can do reverse
> > lookups.
> >
> frontstreetnetworks.net 216.175.178.41  nameserver fsn1.frontstreetnetworks.net
> and
> frontstreetnetworks.com 216.175.178.46 nameserver fsn2.frontstreetnetworks.com
> I am back again, I still have problems with reverse, so I tried the site that
> you recommended and this is the result. Where am I going wrong? 'dig' seems to
> find them, on my local network the workstations cannot find these servers.
>
> *** mail2.his.com can't find 216.175.178.41: Server failed
> Server:  mail2.his.com
> Address:  205.177.25.9

Gerald,
             Your servers are *still* broken. Do you really think you are going to
fix this problem by viewing it from different vantage points? Take our word on
this; we've seen broken nameservers before. Yours look pretty broken. From
*any* vantage point.

I realize that you're running DNS on Cobalt appliances, and so it might not be
easy to "take off the covers" -- I understand that Cobalt appliances are basically
just Linux boxes with a fancy GUI for webhosting tasks -- and find out what is
broken about your configuration and/or zone data. But that's what it will probably
take to fix this problem. It probably can't be fixed through the GUI interface. If
you're not comfortable digging into the internals of your appliances to fix this
problem, then hire someone who is, or, if you have a Cobalt service contract which
covers this kind of thing, use it. But posting message after message to bind-users
describing the same problem isn't accomplishing anything useful. A SERVFAIL is a
SERVFAIL; that's about all we can tell you. Someone has to dig deeper and find out
what's causing it.

- Kevin