NT5 DNS with Bind

Stephen Carville carville at ugsolutions.com
Wed Oct 4 06:22:12 UTC 2000

My employer is getting ready to roll out W2K on the desktop.  Because
Microsoft is assisting in (read 'doing') the planning they want to allow
_all_ W2K machines to self register and want to use a Windows DNS server
for this task.  That's OK with me since I do not have to admin the NT
side.  However, I do need to figure how to integrate the two. I offered to
let the Business Desktop group take over all the DNS but they really do
not want to touch _any_ of it (frankly none of them would know DNS from
the hole in their head) but they will grudgingly accept maintaining the
Windows side of things.

My first thought was to just have a delegation for each W2K box pointing
to the W2K server.  Unfortunately too many people like to change their
machine names without bothering to notify anybody.  The next best solution
is to create a subdomain like y2k.ugsolutions.com and put all the W2K
boxen there.  This has some problems too.  Is it possible to split
authority for a zone?  Give one machine control of all the Win Boxen and
another the UNIX machines?

Suggestion are welcome.

--
Stephen Carville