ignored glue

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 3 19:26:10 UTC 2000

I think the official answer to this is that BIND 8 lacks "query restart",
that is to say, named will not issue another sysquery in response to a
previous sysquery. Keeping track of nested sysqueries was apparently
difficult to implement within the code structure of BIND 8 (or lack
thereof).

The implication, which I have not personally verified, is that BIND 9
*does* have query restart.

Note that this behavior of BIND 8 is not _usually_ a showstopper, since the
resolver will generally retry the query if it doesn't get an answer. If all
the nameserver needs is an A record to fill into the additional section,
then that takes only a single sysquery, which named can deal with and
return the full answer to the client.

- Kevin