Hyphen in domain name

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 2 23:01:00 UTC 2000

Farid Hamjavar wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Ashish Kumar Batwara wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 11:38:11 -0700
> > From: Ashish Kumar Batwara <akbatwara at mirapoint.com>
> > To: bind-users at isc.org
> > Subject: Hyphen in domain name
> >
> > Hello,
> > Could anybody tell me that Windows NT DNS server is able to resolve the
> > hyphen in domain names???
> > I hv some domains with hyphen in the domain name... When i m trying to
> > send mails to the user in those domain, it is trying , but after some
> > time.. it is saying that Max. number of trials reached & mails get
> > bounce back.....
>
> What ,perhaps, that message ("Max. number of trials reached")
> means is that max number of hops has been reached.
> I am talking about udp or tcp TTL values in
> any operating system. You may want to run traceroute
> against the destination to which you're trying to send email
> to see if it goes ok.

I wouldn't expect the word "trial" to be used to mean "hop", but even if it
were, I doubt very much that a single "TTL exceeded" SMTP connection failure
would cause a mail message to be bounced. All reasonable MTA's deal with
connection failures by retrying the message, since these are considered
transient errors. If "trials" == "hops", I think it is far more likely that
"max. number of trials reached" is the MTA's version of sendmail's "hop
count exceeded", i.e. crude loop detection based on the number of

I think, even more likely than either of these possibilities, though, that
"trials" == "retries", i.e. the MTA reached some fixed retry threshold and
gave up on the message.

As for the root cause, who knows? It may be DNS-related, it may not. Without
more information on the failure, one can only speculate...

- Kevin