Sysqueries and delegations that cannot work.

Gilles Massen gm at dns.lu
Mon Oct 2 15:51:33 UTC 2000

Hello,

I'm trying to find out when sysqueries happen. What I believe (after
digging some source and debugging) is:

A sysquery happens when bind is trying to resolve a name and arrives at
a zone delegation.
(example: www.mensa.lu. The "normal" queries are: root-server -> lu
server -> NS record (ns.norplex.net). Then happens the sysquery for
ns.norplex.net.) Is that correct?

In the source of ns_forw it seems clear that a sysquery cannot lead to
another sysquery (thanks Mark for the hint!). If the above is correct,
then when resolving ns.norplex.net bind is lead no another delegation
(vserver.neptun11.de), thus has to make another sysquery and abandons
because it cannot make a second sysquery.

Does this make sense? And is that "limitation" of not allowing nested
sysqueries a result of an RFC or rather a practical solution for a
complex problem? Or did I just get everything wrong?

Any comments would be most welcome!

Best regards,

--
Gilles MASSEN