cache-only server

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Nov 29 03:23:44 UTC 2000

At 12:54 PM 11/28/00 -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>Danny Mayer wrote:

>> >named never looks at /etc/resolv.conf. Also, named won't go to the root
>> >servers for any queries if it already has referral information cached for
>> >the domain in question. So you shouldn't see root server queries very
>> >often.
>>
>>                 You are misinformed about this at least in regard to the
resolve file
>>   on the  name server.  named 8.2.x reads this file at startup.
>
>Whatever. It may *read* the file at startup, as a side-effect of
initializing the
>resolver routines, but it doesn't *use* any of the contents of the file in
any
>meaningful way.

		You are correct in that the resolver routines do us it.  I'm less sure if
  named itself makes use of it, since I haven't had to debug named in that
  area of the code.  Maybe the changes in Bind9 will help and not require the
  existence of the resolv.conf file.  Of course other applications do
require it.

		Danny