Multiple domains

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Nov 28 22:52:00 UTC 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 03:25:32PM -0600, Erich Kolb wrote:
> Sorry about this, I have asked this question before, however I lost the answer.
>
> I have 1 IP, but I also own several domainnames.  How do I host them all so that they will go to seperate directories on my apache web server?  I have seperate zone files and entries, etc.  And nslookup looks good, but here's the thing.  If I type www.domainnumber2.com everything will work correctly, but if I type http://domainnumber2.com it will take me to www.domainnumber1.com.  www.domainnumber1.com http://domainnumber1.com and http://anything.domainnumber1.com all work correctly and I have had no problem with them.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

This has nothing to do with BIND, and only to do with Apache.

The Apache Web server will match the exact string in your virtual
domain declaration.  (This is string matching and has NOTHING to do
with DNS.)  So if you have:

NameVirtualHost	10.0.0.1

<VirtualHost 10.0.0.1>
ServerName	www.domainnumber2.com
DocumentRoot	/httpd/domainnumber2
</VirtualHost>

then "www.domainnumber2.com" is the same as "www.domainnumber2.com",
but "domainnumber2.com" is NOT the same as "www.domainnumber2.com".
They don't even start with the same letter.

Capish?

And this has nothing to do with BIND.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B