.us domain request denied ????

Ron Tipton uther at tns.utk.edu
Tue Nov 28 22:15:20 UTC 2000

 Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the USA have more lawyers per head
> than anywhere else in the world and an obsessive fondness for
> litigation?

for what it's worth, this is one of those well-known-facts that is
incorrect.  the usa calls all folks who have passed the bar lawyers
and we a lot of them.  most countries don't count lawyers this way.

in most of the world only the folks who try criminal cases are
considered lawyers.  we have about the same number of those as, say,
britain.

if you apply our standards to the rest of the world, we rate around
the middle of the first world in lawyers per capita.

Ron Tipton
Unix System Administrator
University of Tennessee
uther at tennessee.edu