.us domain request denied ????

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 28 21:00:29 UTC 2000

Jim Reid wrote:

>     marc> My request for a individual .us domain under
>     marc> naperville.il.us was denied for the following reason:
>
>     marc>   As a matter of policy, the City of Naperville only allows
>     marc> other governmental, or quasi-governmental bodies associated
>     marc> with the City to use the naperville.il.us domain name.  The
>     marc> City does not allow any private person, or business to use
>     marc> the domain name.
>
>     marc> This seems to go against what is stated on the www.nic.us
>     marc> home page that says individuals can register domain names.
>
> Well if you want to register something under naperville.il.us you have
> to abide by whatever rules and conventions are enforced by the
> administrator for that zone. It's their ball and they get to choose
> who's allowed to play with it. This is how the DNS works. If you don't
> like some zone's rules you have two choices. Either you get get the
> rules changed or go elsewhere and register your name in some other
> zone.
>
> Registries and zone administrators are well within their rights to
> choose whatever rules and policies they want. The City of Napierville
> seems to have decided not to issue personal registrations in
> naperville.il.us. Since they own that domain, they're perfectly
> entitled to do that. They decide what goes in that domain and appear
> to have chosen that a personal domain for you is unacceptable. Suppose
> you owned markrossi.org. Would you delegate jim.markrossi.org to me if
> I asked you?

Actually, Jim, the rules are different for .us. The TLD owner specifies
the exact naming conventions to be used, down to the 3rd or 4th label,
and specifies that individuals and businesses are by right entitled to
register in the domain. It's a *conditional* delegation of authority, not
an *absolute* one like for gTLD subdomains. The owners of the subdomains
are bound by the rules of the TLD owner. The ultimate penalty for
violating those rules is of course to be exiled from the namespace.

Beyond the 3rd or 4th label, though, I think .us allows subdomain owners
to do whatever they want.

- Kevin