bind question

Colin Stefani colins at pro2net.com
Tue Nov 28 16:55:06 UTC 2000

Yup, I thought I should've been clearer about this...I had a feeling =
someone
was going to pound me on my explanation the minute I pushed the send =
button,
but alas it was too late to take it back...

Mathias, you're absolutely correct, in hindsight, I think it was =
misleading
the way I explained things. I meant to say it should look something =
like
this in the zone file:

@       SOA  domain.com. root.domain.com. (
                20000112101
                10800                   ; Refresh after 3 hours
                3600                    ; Retry after 1 hour
                604800                  ; Expire after 1 week
                86400 )                 ; Minimum TTL of 1 day
        NS   ns1.domain.com.
        NS   ns2.domain.com.
        A    192.168.1.1
        MX   5 mx.domain.com.
	  MX   10 mx2.domain.com.

You'll notice though, I mentioned that this A record should be placed =
in
section with the NS and MX records for the zone, I thought this was =
clear
enough, but obviously it didn't come through well enough.

As far as the 'notion of 'if there is no host specified...'', I was =
merely
being simplistic in trying to explain the "logic" from a client/user =
point
of view. I am NOT suggesting that 'named' (or any other resolver) is =
doing
any sort of actual determination as to what is being asked in terms of
determining whether a host or domain is being asked for, it was merely =
a way
to illustrate/explain what I thought Stephane' was trying to ask. =
Again, I
probably could have worded it better.

Also, I do realize that every name is just a name to DNS, regardless of =
it's
placement is the hierarchy and that is important to point out. From a =
web
browser/client point of view (which is what MOST questions revolve =
around in
this NG) then it is necessary to often think of these things in terms =
of a
simple host.domain.com situation, even though in the rest of the world =
of
DNS things aren't that simple all the time. Again, I was trying to be =
simple
and maybe shot myself in the foot for doing so.

Thanks for catching these things, I'd hate to try to help and only end =
up
messing someone up more.

regards,

colin