Compiling a statically-linked BIND 8.2.2-P7

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Nov 27 17:45:12 UTC 2000

Why are you trying to compile a statically-linked named? For security
reasons? You can probably get much more bang for your buck by running
named as a non-root user in a chroot jail, which doesn't require a
statically-linked named. In this case, if you're running as a slave to
any zones, you _may_ wish to statically-link named-xfer, to avoid having
to provide shared libraries in the chroot jail. But that would be more a
matter of convenience rather than security, and if it's a lot of trouble
to compile named-xfer statically-linked, I'd personally be more inclined
to just copy over the shared libraries and be done with it.

- Kevin