Dynamic DNS, DHCP and High availability

zz at rockstone.com zz at rockstone.com
Sun Nov 26 09:30:48 UTC 2000

  DHCP server keeps an 'leased' database, doesn't it?
  The challenge is that most DHCP servers are configured to lease
  an address for only hours to several days, then the lease expires,
  and the DHCP server may re-assign the ip address to a new
  machine comes up online.
  Your DNS server must be able to import the 'leased' records
  and refresh quickly enough so it can keep the its DNS record updated
  reflecting the any changes in DHCP records.
  And in order to not to generating network traffic, its probably
  best to have the both DNS and DHCP server running on the same
  machine. And you need a script to port the 'leased' database
  to DNS's A record. And your slave DNS must also sync with the
  master DNS so quickly so it also keeps the most updated records.
  Perhaps any time the DHCP 'leased' database changes, it will
  trigger a script to export the data to an DNS record file, and
  increase its serial number.
  Am I correct?, sorry I don't know how to do it, but I am interested
  to know if this is practical.

  when you say 'high availability' what exactly do you mean?
  high availability against an DNS server failure?