www.domain.com --> something.com

Colin Stefani colins at pro2net.com
Thu Nov 23 17:20:45 UTC 2000

Also one thing to keep in mind (it seems like alot of people ask about this
on this list now and then) but pointing a host entry at another host entry
(with a CNAME alias) will NOT rewrite the URL for you. So for example:

if

www.darthvader.tv CNAME's to  vader.dnsalias.com

and

vader.dnsalias.com A <ipaddress>

This means that querying www.darthvader.tv will return the ip address of the
vader.dnsalias.com host entry and it will NOT rewrite the URL in the client
browser. The URL in the browser will still be shown as www.darthvader.tv, if
that is the requested URL. I don't think this is what you were asking about,
but it seems alot of people get confused about this.

URL rewriting must be done on the webserver with ASP, javascript, cgi, etc
etc.

-colin