Bind Version Info Script

Riskable Riskable at YouKnowWhat.com
Wed Nov 22 18:06:43 UTC 2000

I wrote a little shell script today to quickly get the version info from a
BIND server.  I thought the people on this list could use a utility like
this...

#!/bin/sh
# Written by Riskable (YouKnowWho at YouKnowWhat.com)
# Version 1.0: Initial distribution
# Feel free to distribute as you see fit

nslookup -q=txt -class=chaos << EOF | grep VERSION
server $1
version.bind

...and that's it.  No real error checking because if you screw up nslookup
will spit out a non existent domain error.  Use it like so:

./bind_version nameserver.domain.com

which should spit out:
VERSION.BIND    text = "8.2.2-P7"

...or whatever version of BIND the server is running (assuming they haven't
changed the output with the 'version' option).

-Riskable
"I have a license to kill -9"