Some DNS not seeing our mail server!?!

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 22 04:08:32 UTC 2000

The totally-clueless "PLEASE HELP ME!" posts usually aren't so bad, because
the posters generally *know* that they are clueless, and often just post
their config and zone files without "genericizing" them, asking "what did
I do wrong?".

As for the total novices who ask "how do I get started?", those can be
answered in general terms; there's no need to ask for specifics because
there *are* no specifics yet.

The issue is the folks who have a little DNS experience/knowledge under
their belts and run into a problem they can't figure out. When they
"genericize" their problem I think it's because they're just too embarassed
for everyone to see whatever boneheaded mistake they probably made (as if
no-one else on the planet has ever made a boneheaded mistake). Now
*that* is annoying, because in this case they're expecting the contributors
on the list to expend significant effort just to save themselves a little
embarassment. I don't mind expending effort for a good cause. The
"PLEASE HELP ME!" poster has a *genuine* need for the extra time and
effort, but the embarassed guy doesn't. So it's annoying. Can you
empathize?

I think lawyers probably get annoyed too whenever their prospective clients
start out with "Let's say hypothetically I knew someone who committed a
crime...".

- Kevin