Need help for subdomain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 21 22:54:24 UTC 2000

Eric PETIT wrote:

> Hi every one,
>
> I would like to offer a domain name to my users (like
> http://user_name.my_domain.com). Actually, to do this, i create a new file
> into my /var/named directory (same name like the domain name) and i add a
> new zone entry into my /etc/named.conf file.
>
> So, my question is very simple: is it possible to manage each domain into
> the same /var/named/.. file and without creating a new zone too ? (like
> adding a new specific entry into the /var/named/my_domain.com)

Yes, in fact that's the way folks normally maintain their zone data. Creating
a new zone for every name is pretty unwieldy. You should probably only be
doing that if you're delegating each of those names to your customers'
nameservers (in which case you'd only be defining them in named.conf if you
wanted to be a slave).

By the way, stay away from using underscores: it's an illegal character for a
hostname.

- Kevin